Aims of Amnio-PCR
- To provide a rapid (24-48 hours) and
reliable antenatal diagnosis of the most common
chromosome abnormalities that may result in birth defects.
- To avoid the time delay normally associated
with waiting for cell culture following amniocentesis.
- To reduce anxiety for a mother and her family
by minimising waiting time for results.
- To enable a mother and her healthcare team to decide the most
appropriate actions at an earlier stage in pregnancy.
Advantages of Amnio-PCR
- 100% accurate detection of major chromosomal
- Applicable to pregnancies from 12 to 34 weeks.
- Just a small amount of amniotic fluid is required.
- 99% of pregnancy outcomes accurately
predicted within 48 hours of amniocentesis.
- Common forms of cystic fibrosis can be detected if