Amnio-PCR is a revolutionary, rapid prenatal diagnostic
screen based on molecular DNA techniques.
Amnio-PCR has been pioneered and developed by TDL
Genetics, the genetics division of the Doctors
Amnio-PCR is a, rapid diagnosis of the most common chromosome
abnormalities using the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique.
Using a small sample of amniotic fluid, PCR amplifies and enables
quantification of specific regions of the DNA molecule from
uncultured amniocytes providing a definitive result within 24-48
Aims & Advantages of Amnio-PCR
- To provide a rapid (48 hours) and reliable antenatal diagnosis
of the most common chromosome abnormalities
likely to result in birth defect.
- To avoid the time delay associated with tissue culture.
- To minimise maternal anxiety.
- To benefit clinical management at an earlier stage of
- Low volumes of amniotic fluid required.
- Applicable to pregnancies from 12 to 34 weeks gestation.
- Definitive results of major defects within 24-48 hours.
- Rapid diagnosis of the most common chromosome
- Single gene defects such as the most common cystic fibrosis
mutation p.F508del can be detected, if required.